Sunday, June 30, 2013

Mini-Quiche - the easy way! - Thank you Tupperware - France!

My first Tupperware Party in France & Mini-Quiche!

Amazingly, this is my second post about a recipe in a week.  I didn't plan it this way, but it seems lately I'm preparing this or that for school parties, end of year receptions and potlucks with friends.  We are squeezing in all the activities before summer begins.  Here in France, for a school reception they are always looking for a preparation that is either salty or sweet - and it has to be finger food - or easy to eat while standing up.  


Mini-Quiche



All last year, I eyed these mini-quiches that everyone would bring in to share.  Cute, perfect for a reception and definitely finger food.  I've always made regular sized quiches but looking at these mini ones, they just looked like a lot of work.  Who had that kind of time - to cut the dough to size, let alone find the right-size pans.  Making dough is also not my favorite thing to do, never seem to get the consistency right.(.I had to leave my dough/bread machine back in the States when we moved over here.). 

Anyway, a few' months ago, I was invited to a Tupperware party (Thank you to my French friend who invited me - it was a fun afternoon!)  Surprise, they have Tupperware, here in France.  Same concept as in the States, you go to a get together, the hostess and the sales representative have picked a couple recipes to prepare together and then we all get to enjoy our creations and buy what we want.  Well, I guess I got really lucky that day, as we made mini-creme desserts.  Same concept as the mini-quiches but the filling was a sweet creme.  The best part of this demonstration was that the sales representative pointed out that the fastest way get the dough the right size was to uses a cutter (of course, Tupperware sold that!) or the bottom of a glass sized appropriately - 

The best part was if you were in a hurry - you could use a prepared full crust - just unroll it and begin cutting out the circles - One crust will fill 2 mini-pans for a total of 30 mini-quiche - perfect party size! (& Tupperware sold some super mini silicon pans). The only bit of extra work was for the last 4-6 circles you gather left-over dough pieces & re-roll it out, having enough for both trays.  This I could handle, super easy.  Now, I don't need to tell you what I bought at that party!  (Probably one of my best investments to date!!)  I'm also chuckling a bit here, as I realize that this little short-cut might not be new to a lot of people, but it's new to me!


Prepared dough & the Tupperware cutter
I have used these pans constantly this Spring - mini-quiches, mini-pizzas, mini-appetizers - I think these pans get washed at least a couple times a week.  Last week I made these wonderful little mini-quiches for a school function and then because I had extra egg mixture left over - I made some more for us as a snack before dinner - big hit!! These are also so easy to make & bake ahead and then throw them in the freezer until you need them.

So here is my recipe for these lovely mini-quiches - I have included a dough recipe for those so daring - but a good store bought one works well too!  True be told - one can put anything in these little delicacies...this is truly just one version.


Mini Ham and Cheese Quiches

Ingredients:
Pre-made pie crust (or homemade crust- see recipe below)
3 eggs
creme fraiche or sour cream - (20cl of thicker creme d'Isigny or 1/2 regular size sour-cream container)
2/3 cup milk (156 ml)
salt & pepper
4 drops of Tabasco sauce
handful of fresh chives cut into small pieces

1/2 cup (120ml) shredded cheese (Goat, Gouda, Swiss or Cheddar)
3 slices of deli-ham diced 

Method:
Preheat oven to 375°F (190 C). Using a pre-made pie crust sheet, use cutter or small glass slightly bigger than pan cups & cut out circles for 30 mini-quiche and place in the cups of a mini-muffin tin or mini-quiche pan. 

In a small bowl beat together 3 eggs, creme fraiche (or sour cream) 2/3 cups milk, salt, pepper, hot pepper sauce & chives

Sprinkle the pieces of chopped ham and the cheese into each cup.  Fill prepared muffin tins with egg mixture,  and bake 20—25 minutes until puffed and lightly brown.

Let cool slightly and remove from tins. Makes 30 mini-quiche.

Easy Dough for Crust

Ingredients:
2 cups all purpose flour (.5 liters)
teaspoon salt (5 ml)
¾ cup shortening or butter (178 ml)
5 to 6 tablespoons cold water (75-90 ml)

Method:
In food processor with knife blade attached, measure flour, shortening and salt., process 1 to 2 seconds until mixture form fine crumbs.(This can also be done with a pastry cutter).  Add cold water, process 1, to 2 seconds until dough forms on blades. Remove dough from bowl; with hands, shape dough into ball. Roll out flat.



Filled & Ready to bake!

The yummy final product the second night!


So, I promise no more recipes for a bit - we spent today at the beach - so I'm looking forward to sharing those photos.  Hope it was a great weekend for all!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading and visiting my blog. Feel free to leave a comment - I love hearing from people!

Popular Posts